What are the Statement of Principles of the Saskatchewan Green Party?
As part of getting to know our party we will be posting a new principle every month. Continuing in our series this month's featured principle is Respect for Diversity. What does respect for diversity mean to you and for our province?
Respect for Diversity
We honour cultural, linguistic, ethnic, sexual, religious and spiritual diversity within the context of individual responsibility toward all beings.
We defend the right of all persons, without discrimination, to an environment supportive of their dignity, bodily health, and spiritual well-being
We promote the building of respectful, positive and responsible relationships across lines of division in the spirit of a multi-cultural society.
• recognition of the rights of indigenous peoples to the basic means of their survival, both economic and cultural, including rights to land and to self determination; and acknowledgment of their contribution to the common heritage of national and global culture
• recognition of the rights of ethnic minorities to develop their culture, religion and language without discrimination, and to full legal, social and cultural participation in the democratic process
• recognition of and respect for sexual minorities
• equality between women and men in all spheres of social, economic, political and cultural life
• significant involvement of youth culture as a valuable contribution to our Green vision, and recognition that young people have distinct needs and modes of expression.